A freely volunteered smile has impacted all of us. Masks during the pandemic did make smiling a challenge, but acts of kindness did prevail in other ways. Seniors, more susceptible to periods of loneliness and depression, have benefitted exponentially from simple gestures of compassion. Kindness has changed lives in intervals of seconds or minutes. The art of kindness has the power to heal and impacts physical and mental health for both the giver and receiver. “Remember, there is no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” Scott Adams, American cartoonist
Be Kind with Your Actions
Have you ever felt uplifted after receiving a smile from a stranger, finding someone has paid you forward, or had the door held while you juggled purchases? Begin to integrate these acts of kindness and other gestures into your life. Do you find kindness difficult? Here are suggestions to practice kindness with a Senior and more:
- Ask how their day is.
- Offer a ride to church, appointment or outings.
- Bring mail to the door or offer to mail it.
- Leave an encouraging note where it will be found.
- If you see a Senior working outside, offer a glass of water. Urge them to take a break or finish the task yourself.
- Compliment appearances, especially if they have begun to wear adaptive clothing, pressure socks or special shoes.
- Do safety checks during bad weather or life changes.
- Fix a nutritious meal and deliver or share it.
- Celebrate achievements… graduating from physical therapy, learning a new activity, or choosing a new Senior Living Option.
- Express your love and/or show appreciation.
Og Mandino, an American author, minces no words when he says “… treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.” Acts of Kindness creates a positive attitude, increases self-esteem, and helps maintain health. Choose kindness… always.
Bridge to Better Living understands the needs and wants of each individual client. We practice Placement with Passion°… beginning with kindness. Make your search for Retirement Living Options pleasant and stress free by contacting Bridge to Better Living today.