Birthdays are meant to be celebrated. Goofy hats, decorations, balloons, theme cakes, and ice cream are traditional party items. Quite a few of us, however, have begun to celebrate in more moderate ways. Duplication of earlier festivities has one thinking twice as a latest census predicts people over the age of 65 could number 77 million, half a million more than children under age 18 in the year 2034. Seniors and loved ones are beginning to consider new ways to celebrate birthdays… here are a few.
First, consider whether the celebrant wants their birthday to be acknowledged. If not, a simple greeting is appropriate. Other Seniors may enjoy a gathering of family and friends, a private happy hour in their Senior Living Community, or secretly wish for a surprise party. Honor your Senior’s wishes.
Gifts for those entering their “golden years” may be challenging. Not all gifts, however, are wrapped in tissue and ribbons. Consider the following suggestions:
- Create a photo gallery of special times in their life.
- Hang a sign on their door announcing “Happy Birthday.”
- Organize a special skype or zoom with far away family and friends.
- Purchase gift certificates to a special hair stylist, barber, or store.
- Dedicate an afternoon to them… visit an art gallery or drive somewhere special.
- Call and wish them a happy birthday. Encourage others to do the same.
- Announce your Senior’s special day in the local newspaper.
- Last, but not least, spend time with the birthday boy or girl. Your presence is the best present.
Life expectancy, according to Macrotrends, is 79.05 in the year 2022. Bridge to Better Living wondered what qualities help people live longer lives. Several commonalities were found:
- Good genes
- Moderate or no alcohol intake
- Nutritious diets without overeating
- Physically active at least 2.5 hours a week
- A positive outlook
- Connected to others and respected
- A sense of purpose
Bridge to Better Living wishes an improved or continued Quality of Life for each of its clients. A safe home where they are well loved is the essence of “Placement with Passion®.” Choose Bridge to Better Living for assistance when transitioning to Independent, Assisted, Memory Assisted, or Long-Term Care. Make every day a celebration. Bridge to Better Living looks forward to helping blow out the candles.